Hi! Welcome to my new blog. I am brand new to this blogging site, and just today figuring out how it works, so please bear with any mistakes over the next few days. I'm starting it because friends requested it due to commentary on
topic getting lost on their Facebook walls. You can post responses to my blog, or email me personally. I would love to
hear your stories, good and bad, on how you are handling being a mature
Christian single participating in the dating scene. I will edit and publish suitable stories in the blog for
sharing and commentary, if you send them via email with permission.
You may email me privately if you wish prayer, or wish to share something you
don't want public. Please be discriminating about what you email, though, as the time I am able to spend on this is rather limited. I am in the middle of a JOB HUNT, and that is paramount in order for me to pay my bills!! My email is consecrated.for.christ@gmail.com
Writing has been a favorite hobby of mine since I was
6 years old. For the past 16 years, I've been in the technical writing
profession. There wasn't much license there to exercise my high level of
creativity, but it brought home my bread and butter. I grew up in the home of
a Baptist minister. My formative years were spent attending his small country
church in the Ozarks. Watching him shepherd his little flock was a real, live education!
You might ask WHAT QUALIFIES ME TO BLOG ABOUT ETHICAL
CHRISTIAN DATING! Excellent question! First off, I've lived as a Christian most
of my life. I was "born again" at age 12. I don't have a
degree in psychology, but I do have a MULTITUDE of stories and lessons gleaned
from spending 15 years as a mature Christian single on the dating scene,
which I am ITCHING to share with you! Some experiences are personal, but many
were observed first-hand via friends or personally shared with me. My
spiritual gifts are mercy and encouragement. At least one of my many
personality tests lists me as Intuitive/Feeling/Perceptive. As you might guess,
these traits often encourage people to share their hearts with me. My father taught me that
one of the most important things you can do to help a hurting person is to simply
listen while they share their heart.
I can calmly listen without judgment, extend compassion and
understanding, empathize, discern, and whenever required, allow people to cry
on my shoulder. However, the School of Hard Knocks taught me to be nobody's fool. I'll take my personal expertise over a yellowing degree stuck a dusty black frame any day
of the week, it's more useful.
I married disastrously at the tender age of 19. By the time
I was 24, I had 3 small children, and I desperately wanted out of my
intolerable marriage. My husband was an extremely abusive alcoholic who seldom
worked. We lived in excruciating poverty, and my life morphed into an earthly
hell. However, I followed the advice of some misinformed Christians, and made
the dire mistake of attending a Bill Gothard seminar. Per misdirected peer advice and related Gothardly teachings,
I became persuaded I was personally responsible for my husband's salvation. If I divorced him, I'd cause him to be an adulterer (although he had been
unfaithful to me numerous times). I'd also be an adulteress forever, should I
remarry in my lifetime. I'd also be responsible if he ever ended up in hell due
to his sins, since I hadn't won him over to the cause of Christ with my
submissive, compliant example.(Hogwash!)
Thus, I wrestled my miserable situation until I was 29, at
which point I really had no choice but to leave for the safety and well-being of
myself and my children. My life had been threatened and endangered many times,
and my children were suffering from the horrible environment. Bill Gothard
did not live in that house, but we did. At that point, I'd become so enraged
over my husband's chronic physical and emotional abuse toward me and his gross financial
irresponsibility, I'd have rejoiced with reckless abandon if he'd spontaneously
combusted and split the gates of Hell wide open directly in front of my eyes. Had he died during those years , which I often
prayed he would, I’d have danced gleefully upon his grave. (Yes, boys and girls,
I had to do EXTENSIVE "forgiveness work" later......) That's another
story.
I have since prayed and studied my Bible at length for many
years regarding the whole divorce issue (which many fundamental, protestant
churches are grossly and judgmentally mistaken about, in my personal opinion). As you
might imagine, I have MUCH to share on that topic at another time.
After I divorced, I was a single mother for 9 years. I
received a grand total of $300 in child support from the children's father
during that time. He had minimal, but disruptive involvement in their lives. I
participated in local Christian singles church groups, where I experienced life as a
Christian single until I was 38. At one point, I became so disgusted with the dating scene that I stopped altogether for over two years. I decided the best thing to do was to let God find me a match, if He wanted me to have one.
When I was 38, I married a kind, sensitive Christian man who
wasn't fazed by my 3 fractious teenagers. They were doing just about everything
except stealing cars and robbing banks. That's another story I will share another day. God certainly placed that man into my life, and we lived very
happily together for 9 years. Life wasn't perfect. We had blended family
issues and the usual domestic challenges. However, our personalities and our
faith levels were very compatible. It also helped matters that he totally
adored me. After our very first date, I later learned that he informed everyone in
his office he'd met the woman he planned to marry. In 2005, he was diagnosed with esophageal
cancer. In spring of 2007, after a long and painful battle with the disease, he went home to be
with the Lord. I was devastated.
I joined a great widow’s support group at my church,
where I made a couple of really good friends. After about a year, I began
occasionally attending the Christian Singles Group at a local mega-church with
my new friends. As time passed, my enthusiasm waned over their singles group.
I've seen a lot negative behaviors and
heard stories that made my blood run cold. I experienced a disturbing situation
myself, a couple of years ago, where a man in this singles group, an ex-
minister, tried to romance, then con me, and one of my other widow friends at
the same time. He tried to play his game behind our backs, because he suspected
each of us had inherited nice nest eggs from our late husbands, and he wanted
to speedily take advantage of whichever one of us would bite. I quickly wised
up to his game and escaped unscathed (I told you I was nobody's fool!), but my
friend was hurt and conned, even though I tried very hard to warn her. She was
so desperate for love and attention, she got angry with me and chose to ignore
the warning. That man is still behaving as a predator in that group.
The un-Christian behavior I often overheard
and saw first-hand made me realize that there is often a lack of practical
leadership and accountability within singles groups. It is necessary for
Christian singles to be cognizant of how their behaviors affect others,
especially unbelievers. Christians should make an effort to practice ETHICAL
Christian behaviors when dating within a Christian singles group to avoid
hurting fellow believers. Otherwise they should consider practicing their
dating via the cocktail lounge venue.
After visiting several singles
groups over the years, I see a large gap between what is needed to support
this community versus what is actually in place to support them, even within
the groups sponsored by mega-churches. For
quite some time, I’ve felt led to share the stories, anecdotes, opinions, and personal
observations gained after several years of living the single life. I’ve learned a lot through personal prayer
and study, as well as through my own life lessons. I felt I should establish MY OWN PLATFORM to support,
edify, and perhaps inspire or guide others walking this challenging road of
mature singleness. Singles have a very unique set of issues to deal with, which
married people simply don’t understand because they don’t encounter the same
issues.
I was asked by several friends to begin a blog on this topic. I consider this BLOG to be the start of my personal ministry for encouraging others. People can take it or leave it, as they like. I will share stories, advice, opinions, anecdotes, etc. I hope you'll participate, comment, and refer your friends to my page, both single and married. I’ll share insights on how to treat everyone with love and respect, although singles are my primary audience. I hope my readers will find our sharing helpful, and that GOD will touch every visitor in some special way.
I was asked by several friends to begin a blog on this topic. I consider this BLOG to be the start of my personal ministry for encouraging others. People can take it or leave it, as they like. I will share stories, advice, opinions, anecdotes, etc. I hope you'll participate, comment, and refer your friends to my page, both single and married. I’ll share insights on how to treat everyone with love and respect, although singles are my primary audience. I hope my readers will find our sharing helpful, and that GOD will touch every visitor in some special way.
Dear TDawn.......what a beautiful job on your blog!
ReplyDeleteGreat starting points, well written and captivating!
God has a great purpose for you and has led you
to a comfortable place. I'm excited for you, and if
you ever need someone to jump in and coax and
encourage folks to hold tight to their values, morals
and in the dating process, I will be there for you.
It isn't a difficult task to raise ones self-respect to
the highest level possible and find someone who
also respects all that is YOU........the complete
package........no compromise, no temptation......
only one who himself has self-respect, will honor
yours. (that goes for everyone) Our journey in
life is according to God's plan.........and I will never
believe that He wishes for any of us, younger or
older, to compromise our integrity, honor, values,
morals or self-respect......just to find a compatible
mate...............He taught us through His Word,
that we are worth far more than ''gratification for
the moment''..........with the pain and agony that
surely follow.
Congratulations, on your great idea, and for
being all that you are, ....who you are, and what
you stand for............girl--------you are a flawless
gem, and I am so privileged to know you. I
pray one day, God will find a way for us to meet,
BEFORE the great heavenly reunion!!!
Love you, Twyla..........you're the best!!!
Love, Vicky R